Saturday, April 3, 2010

Going Gluten-Free and General Conference

I slept last night! I've forgotten how it feels to have rest...lol. What is even better is that I didn't need the help of pain killers and muscle relaxants. I think the sleeping aids helped a lot. I woke up feeling a little spacey but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I am hoping that this minimal dose will be sufficient. I am also proud to report that the pain in my chest has continued to decrease. This has been the longest pericardial attack so far, and I am grateful that it is subsiding.

We are starting our Gluten-free diet. I say we because my parents and my Aunt Jill will be joining me. I am so grateful for their support. When I was first told that I would have to go Gluten free I was bummed imagining all of my favorite foods being off limits. While doing some research I came across a book that said the people on a gluten free diet can eat almost anything they want. They just need to prepare it themselves and use "safe" (gluten free) ingredients. The biggest thing is avoiding pre-prepared foods. This seems a little more doable. I've never been a fan of pre-prepared foods like canned soups, boxed pastas, etc. I do have a weakness for fast food though and that will be a tough one to overcome. I am going to do it... I just hope Wendy's doesn't go out of business because of it...lol! If anyone has good gluten free recipes and are willing to share I would be eternally grateful. I am especially looking for recipes for bread dough.

Today was the first two sessions of General Conference. I am grateful for the reminder that through all of my trials and tribulations that there is One with all knowledge and power that is in charge. I know that at the end of this I will be able to look back and see God's hand in my life, and see the blessings that He has given me. He is aware of my struggles and pain, and He will continue to guide me on this journey. I am not alone!
 
I have added some links to this page that deal with Lyme and other relevant sites. I will continue to add more and if anyone has site recommendations please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear how hard the last years have been for you. I have had a rough year with a lot of unexplained pain myself and can't imagine how hard it has been going on this long for you. Thank goodness you finally have a diagnosis! What is the plan now? Can you be "cured?". In regards to a gluten free diet check out www.theglutenfreecompany.com. My brother-in-law started it and it may help you get started. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you started this. I had no idea you had so many health problems but I'm so glad that you finally have a diagnosis. There are a couple of blogs you may want to check out for help with your gluten free diet. The first is crockpot365.blogspot.com. It was a girl who used the crockpot everyday for a year and all of her meals were gluten free. There's another one called glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com. I hope these help!

    ReplyDelete